Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Traffic Circles

My initial reaction to the plan to put two roundabouts in the downtown area of Grande Prairie was a negative one. I dont have the confidence that the general public is going to take to this change well. I think quite a few people will be confused, the change from one way to two way alone is going to take a real adjustment period. But the more information I get about this plan the better it sounds and I admit, Im starting to warm up to the idea.

There is a difference between traffic circles and roundabouts, though we tend to use both words to describe one thing. You dont see many true traffic circles here and I suspect that when comments about other countries taking traffic circles out are made the roundabouts that are planned for Grande Prairie are not what is being talked about. Roundabouts are a lot less confusing and depending on the details of this plan, they could work really well.

This is a matter I will be paying close attention to, especially as a downtown business owner. The general public needs more information about this plan, and I am on a quest for knowledge:)

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, have all the apostrophes died in a poor spelling tailing pond up in Fort McMurray?

    ReplyDelete